Saturday, December 9, 2017

An Absurd Book

I usually avoid stores during the holidays but I needed to find a kid's cookbook and figured it would be better to go to a real store where I could flip through the choices.
Oh.My.Gosh.
Browsing through the books was fun and easy. But then I had to stand in line to check out.
It was painful.

There are very few perks to living in an aesthetic wasteland like Des Moines. The main one is that there is hardly any traffic and you never have to stand in line for anything. So, I was in shock when there were 7 or 8 people in line. Most of them had their phones out to amuse themselves. I try to avoid the screen as a tool to kill time. Instead, I glanced around at items that were for sale.

I almost yelped when I saw this book. Instead, I thought I would just snap a photo and share it with my pen pals. Even though many of you are not calligraphers - I would hope than anyone with a shred of common sense would see the absurdity of this title. I will refrain from further comment. I'm just shaking my head.

There is the matter of the author. I had a fleeting thought of finding out who he is and where he lives and what his background is - but I snapped out of that misguided thought very quickly. And now I will return to my exchange envelopes. Six left to do. I might post a few this month to make up for the pitiful mess that I see popping up.

I had an envelope scheduled to pop up today - but it already ran in November. I have a whole bunch of repeat posts scheduled. What a mess. I'll try to fill in with some new stuff....  Whew. I found time to put in something new. It is right below. One of the rare times when an exchanger will see their envelope before it arrives. Although - I might add something before it gets out the door.

6 comments:

  1. Calligraphy in 15 minutes? You mean I didn't have to take the year long course with Reggie Ezell? Face palm (-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I looked him up for you , he is a you tuber who does do lettering... But I didn't watch. I remember being a kid and being gifted just such books. They made me so hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of beginner books. It's the 15 minutes that ruffles my feathers. There is so much value in taking the time to do something. Why are people in such a rush. I guess if the title was - 15 minutes every day for 5 years - it would be a realistic journey.

      Delete
    2. I suppose I should go back and actually open the book and see what he says.....

      Delete
  3. I saw this same book yesterday when shopping for a guild gift-exchange gift! I was tempted to buy it as a joke...but it would have left me too little budget under the rules of the exchange to add anything more worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15 minutes?? This must be like trying to microwave a Thanksgiving turkey. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete